Your Shopping Cart
Your cart is empty.
Showing 0 of 0 item(s) in your cart.
(ex. Shipping)

Overseas Licence Holders

I come from overseas, what do I have to do to get an ACT Licence?

  • Permanent resident in the ACT, with a full driving license (learner or provisional licence is not acceptable), from an approved country  (please see approved list) >>  https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/1581/kw/overseas%20licence#!tabs-8, are not required to take either a knowledge test or practical assessment. You will be required to take proof of identity and proof of residency with the overseas licence to an ACT shopfront to have an ACT licence issued immediately.
  • Licence from a non-approved country, you are required to take a knowledge test and practical driving test. For both test you are required to provide the following:
  1. Overseas Licence
  2. NAATI approved translation (if licence is not in English)
  3. Primary Proof of Identity
  4. Secondary Proof of Identity
  5. 3rd Proof of Identity (can be primary or secondary)
  6. Proof of Residency

See:  Proof of Identity Requirements ACT. 

For the Knowledge Test you will also need to provide 2 passport photos or bring $5 for them to be taken by road ready staff

How do I take a practical driving test? The same documents provided for the knowledge test should be taken with the knowledge test certificate to any Canberra Connect Shopfront and the practical driving test can be booked.

What if I fail the practical driving test?Where an overseas licence holder fails a practical assessment with a Government examiner, the overseas licence is deemed to be invalid and the licence holder is required to take out a learner licence and abide by the conditions of that licence.

What if I don't want to take a practical driving test? If the licence is to be obtained through the CBT&A (Logbook) system a learner licence will need to be taken out. Note: If this is the case, the overseas licence becomes invalid for use in the ACT at the point the learner licence is issued.

I come from overseas, what do I have to do to get a Heavy Vehicle ACT Licence? Applicants requiring a heavy vehicle classification will be obliged to undertake the appropriate knowledge tests and a practical driver assessment.

I come from overseas and do not currently hold an overseas license, what do I have to do to get an ACT licence?Where a driving licence has never been held must abide by the normal requirements to obtain an ACT licence, i.e. Roadready course, knowledge test, learner licence and provisional licence.

How and where do I book to do a knowledge test?

  • You do not need to book, simply go to one of our Roadready Centres and undertake the test, Monday to Friday 9am-4pm and Saturdays 9am-11am….address details
  • Licence applicants can practice the knowledge test on this site and will need to provide the appropriate 3 forms of Identity and Proof of Residency at the time they present for the test. A list of ID requirements can be found in the ACT road rules handbook which can be purchase at any Access Canberra Shopfront or click the link

How much does it cost to do the knowledge test? $42.75 for each attempt, the test may only be attempted twice a day. *Please note: All of our Road Ready offices are CASHLESS*

Is the knowledge test available in other languages? No, but an interpreter can be arranged for most languages, please contact the relevant location to book an appointment. ….contact us

My friend or wife, brother etc. is from overseas, has a driver licence and wishes to do the knowledge test for an ACT driver licence but cannot read or speak English what can be arranged to help with the test?

  • Contact the appropriate RoadReady Centre office that will arrange for an authorised interpreter and a booking time for the licence applicant to take the test.

Interpreter assisted knowledge test:

  • 1st appointment $42.75 for each attempt (includes interpreter) a maximum of 2 attempts a day
  • 2nd appointment $42.75 for each attempt (includes interpreter) a maximum of 2 attempts a day
  • Any further appointments $42.75 for each attempt, a maximum of 2 attempts a day, will need to pay additional fee for interpreter: $180.31 Monday to Friday and $288.25 *Please note: All of our Road Ready offices are CASHLESS offices*

    Please Note:Any cancellation of bookings made without 24 hours notice will be taken as an appointment.

......contact us